This is the most beautiful and biggest mosque in Kütahya. Its constructions started in the Yıldırım Beyazid Period (1381-1384), and finished in the Mehmet 2 (Mehmet the conqueror) period in 1401. During the campaign of Süleyman the Magnificent, it was restored by the architect Sinan. The mosque reached its last stage of development in Sultan Abdülhamit Khan 2 period in 1893, and in he last big restoration the mosque was designed as vaulted. In the restoration that started in 1888 and finished in 1893, the walls were knocked down to their bases and they were rebuilt with rubble stone.
It has a rectangular plan and no courtyard, and the main part is covered with two vaults supported with six columns and half vaults on each side. It is worth seeing the designed panel which is on the right hand side of the niche, covered with half vaulted and 4 columned muezzin quarters.
Dönenler Mosque (Mevlevihane)
This structure opposite to Ulu Mosque was built in the 14th century as the ‘Semahane’ of mevlevihane. This was the first mevlevihane in Kütahya and is one of the most authentic examples of early Anatolian-Turkish architecture. It experienced two restorations but only the semahane and dervish rooms were able to survive to this day. Today it is used as a mosque and it has a quadrilateral plan and octagonal rim. Next to this mosque there is a small mosque which was built under the order of Hazer Dinari- known as Kütahya’s Seljuks period conqueror. When the grandson of Mevlana, Ergun Çelebi was buried here, it became the tomb of mevlevihane.
This was built at the end of Republic Street on an area known as ‘Kapanaltı’, and later ‘Tahılpazarı’. Its wide-low gate, rubble-stone round arch, and inscription are interesting.
Tavşanlı Ulu Mosque
There is no inscription on this structure, although the architectural techniques employed demonstrate early Ottoman work. There is a large middle vault on cornered and four legged arches, and eight small vaults on the sides.
Çinili Mosque (Mosque of Yakupoğlu)
This mosque was built in 1973 by the artist Ahmet Yakupoğlu in the Maltepe quarter in the south-eastern section of the city. It is as if it were blown down in from Middle Asian Turkish architecture in its style. This two-storeyed structure has a single vault and is decorated inside by chisel work. The outside is decorated with special produced blue Kütahya tiles. Decorated with Turkish motives and with its architectural style, this mosque is a unique example in Kütahya.
Mosque of Simav Agha
It was built in 1789 by Nasuh Agha- an Ottoman feudal lord to whom Emet and Tavşanlı belonged. Being a good example of stone art the mosque was restored in line with its original style.
It was built in 1905 by Fuat Pasha, a mutasarrif of Kütahya. Its chalet styled minaret balcony is the only example of its kind in Kütahya. The mosque has a square plan and a single vault. Inside it is decorated with high reliefs and chisel work motifs.
Hıdırlık small mosque
This is a work from the Seljuks period, and is located on Hıdırlık Hill., which is on the eastern side of Hisar Hill. It is understood from its inscription that the small mosque was built by Hazer Dinar-i an emir of the Ottomans in 1243-1244. The vaulted structure has a square plan and a quadrilateral niche on its southern side. In 1980 it was restored by Ahmet Yakupoğlu, and in 2004 by various foundations.
Muvakkithane (a place where the time for namaz is calculated by looking at the sun)
It is found in the Balıklı quarter in front of the old mufti building. It was built in 1831-1832 by Halil Kamil Agha, who was a mütesellim of Kütahya. It has a vertical rectangular plan and is made of rubble stone and covered with a tiled roof. This muvakkithane was built in order to show the time and prayer times, but now is used for business purposes.
Tomb of sheik buhari (gümüşecik tomb)
This 14th century structure belonged to Gazi Hasan Pasha, and in the 19th century was restored by Dilaver Pasha- a city director of Kütahya. It has a square plan and its pendanted vault is set on a row of stone without a rim.
Tomb of Ana Sultan
It is in a small forest, 25 km away from the highway between Kütahya –Afyonkarahisar. Its Baldaken styled arches are quite low. The tomb was restored by Ahmet Yakupoğlu in 1980.
Dedebali is also known as ‘Hace-ül Haram’ and ‘Mülayim Dede’. He was a wise man who played an important role in promoting the unity of Anatolian Turks and in defusing sedition and disorder against the Ottomans. He was famous for his benevolence and was embraced by the public. After his death in 1394 he was buried at Mülayim Hill in Tavşanlı. Surrounding his tomb there is a pool.
Tomb of Hayme Ana
Hayme Ana was the grandmother of Osmangazi- founder of the , and the mother of Ertuğrul Gazi. Her tomb is in the away from Domaniç . Ertuğrul Gazi who was from the Kayı clan and the head of the Karakeçili tribe,settled in Soğüt and Domaniç in 1281. Every year he used to set up camp and spend five months on this plateau. His mother died during one of these camping periods and he buried her there. An Ottoman Sultan; Abdülhamit 2 found mother Hayme’s grave and built this tomb for her. Every year in the on the first Monday of September she is commemorated.
Tomb of Sunullah Gavbi
It is on the corner of the Musallah Graveyard in the Gaybi Efendi quarter. This tomb was built in the 17th century and is covered with a tiled roof. Sunullah Gaybi is the grandson of Pir Ahmet Besiri, the Seheik of Kalburcu. He was an experienced Sufist, who fought against ignorance and bigotry, and spoke perfect Turkish. His main works are Gaybidivani, Sohbetname, Biatname, Ruhul Akaidname, Makasidi Ayniye and Huda Rabbim.
‘Happy is someone who stays in Kütahya for a month,
If you can stay two months, all the better.
Kütahya is a flawless beauty.
Could you harm such a flawless beauty?
Oh God, save this city.
Paradise is either beneath or above Kütahya,
Let’s sacrifice Lahor, Keşmir, Tebriz for Kütahya’ (Sultan Veled)
Tomb of Paşam Sultan
Its walls can be seen from the street the Ulu Mosque to İshak Fakih and the evtrance is in . The tomb is also called ‘Seyyid Nueaddin’. It has two parts which one can reach through ‘L’ shaped staircase. Restorations and changes are still ongoing.
Şair Şeyhi (Sinan the Doctor)
He lived at the end of the 14th century and the beginning of the 15th century and stayed at Germiyan Palace4 during the period of Yakup 2, Germiyan Sultan Shah took on his education himself and sent him . He returned from an eye doctor and became the personal doctor of Yakup the second, and the Ottoman Sultans Çelebi Mehmet and Murat the second. Besides being a good doctor, he was also a talented poet. His ‘Harname’ which is one of his first examples of stair in Divan literature, is rather elegant and famous. His other works are Divan-ı Şeyhi, Dürr’ul akaid, Tıbbi Risalesi, Hüsrev ü Şirin.
Tomb of Kara Ahmet Bey
Kara Ahmet Bey, the grandfather of Evliya Çelebi, was a famous traveler, writer and folklorist. His tomb is on the right hand side of the road that goes to from the slope of the . The tomb was built in 1995, to complement the Ottoman Minaret. In his writings Evliya Çelebi talks about his visit to Kütahya in 1978 and states that the grave of his grandmother Kara Ahmet Bey was next to houses in the Zeryen Quarter.
He was the fourth generation grandson of the Mevlana and the son of Burhaneddin İlyas Çelebi. He was a Mevlevi sheik and poet. Giving up the throne of Germiyan he became a Mevlevi, and worked in the service of Emir-i Alem and then Emir Vacid. The poet’s works are Kelime- i Tayyip, İnsan- i
Kamilin, İşaretü’l –Beşaret and Gençname. His grave is in the tomb of Küthaya Mevlevihanesi, which is called Erguniye.
This monument was erected in 2003 on the point marking the entrance of Eskişehir- Kütahya.
Evliya Çelebi was from the Zeryen Quarter of Kütahya. He lived between the years 1611 and 1682, travelled for 51 years and wrote about his travels in his 10 volume work ‘Seyehatname’ (Book of Travel). In the Seyehatname Evliya Çelebi talks about Kütahya; ‘the city Kütahya seemed very small but is has a 4 tousnad feet area from the Sultan Vineyard, Osman Pasha Palace, Mevlevihane and to Meydan Quarter. On two sides of the river, there are gardens and mansions. Each house has a water canal from the river. The river stretches from te east to the west of the city’.
Evliya Çelebi traveled around the old world because he wondered whether there is someone more beautiful than Kütahya.